Thursday 5 June 2014

Review: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Now, I should probably start by saying that I did read this book in Spanish; it was given to me as a gift to help me develop my skills.  Nevertheless, although I suspected that I may not have sufficiently understood the storyline at some points in the book, after reading the plot on Wikipedia it turns out that I had, in fact, gotten the general gist.

The reason for why I suspected that I may not have completely understood various aspects of the plot is because the entire story was really quite strange - cute and entertaining, but strange.

It starts with an airplane pilot telling the reader about how he used to draw pictures when he was a young boy and how no one ever understood what they were.  One day his plane crashes in a barren desert where he meets a young prince who claims to be from another planet.  The two strike up a friendship when the little prince requests that the pilot draws him a picture and the prince informs the pilot all about his past while the two struggle to survive in this new deadly landscape.  The little prince goes on to tell his new friend, and the reader, about his own planet and how he met a variety of strange individuals, on various other planets, on his way to Earth.

The story was quite odd and I really failed to see the point of it in general; apparently the story was supposed to reflect various dark aspects of society at the time that it was written although I didn’t see it myself.  Nonetheless, The Little Prince is referred to as a classic, so I suppose I can’t be too critical!  What’s more, overall, I did quite enjoy it as it was really quite endearing and it’s a perfect book for improving one’s language skills because it has been translated into dozens, if not hundreds, of languages and the language of the book is quite simple.

Therefore, despite the oddness of the story I found it relatively enjoyable and especially useful for enhancing my Spanish.  So, I have given The Little Prince...

Rating = 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment