Saturday 15 February 2014

New book haul - Steven Pinker



One of the most exciting things about books is getting new ones.  So I was VERY excited when I discovered the parcel, outside my door, containing these beauties this week.

Okay, so they may not seem beautiful on the face of it.  I always buy second-hand books which is why they look a little tattered (I’m talking particularly about you The Language Instinct).

Nevertheless, the beauty, in my opinion lies inside.  Firstly, I think that it’s a lot more fun buying books that someone else has used (and abused!)  Secondly, never judge a book by (the condition of) its cover!
I bought these three because of the author.  I’m a bit of a sucker for books about linguistics and I’ve heard that Steven Pinker has some interesting theories and opinions about language so I thought I’d pick these three up for a bit of leisurely reading.  And they look super!  For example, the blurb of The Stuff of Thought states that the book addresses questions about why children’s names fall in and out of use, why we hardly ever say what we mean and how various choices of metaphors can start a war.

I admit, this might not be everyone’s cup of tea but, personally, this sounds like reading bliss.

Indeed, it’s unlikely that I’ll read this until the summer hols because I'm so busy. But, hey, at least it’s something to look forward to!


Read any of these books? Please comment and let me know what you thought of them!

1 comment: